Springfield was little more than a growing village in Fairfax County in January 1954 when people gathered at Garfield School to attend the first service of a new Methodist church that would become Springfield Methodist. Thirty-three residents were in attendance along with representatives of the sponsoring church, Trinity Methodist in Alexandria along with twenty-five children who met in the principal’s office. As they made plans for a permanent building, the group continued to meet at the school using the library and several classrooms for Sunday school.
Bitter cold prevented outdoor ground breaking for the first unit of the new church building in 1955 so soil was brought into the school in a flower box. The second unit was completed in 1960. By June 1974, the original building had been remodeled and air conditioning installed. In 2000 the church was completely renovated inside and outside and the pipe organ refurbished.